If you are looking to elevate the image of your brand, opting for custom packaging might have crossed your mind. However, the level of customization you decide to opt for certainly comes with a cost. Therefore, it gets really important for any business to plan their custom packaging budget beforehand to save themselves from any future inconvenience. Therefore, in this blog, we will try to focus on the different factors that contribute to the cost of custom packaging while paying emphasis on the role of the quantity, special features, and add-ons, the cost of going green, as well as how to create a balance between aesthetics and functionality.
The Role of Quantity in Determining Cost
The number of packaging units required plays a huge role in determining the cost of custom packaging. However, along with this quantity, there are many other factors associated with it that should certainly be considered. These factors are discussed below:
- Economies of Scale- Whenever you order anything in bulk, it surely reduces the cost per unit. This kind of strategy is particularly useful for businesses that require custom packaging in large quantities because of their enormous production rates.
- Prototyping and Setup Costs- A smaller number of custom packaging units leads to higher prototyping and setup costs. This is so because the fixed expenses are evenly distributed across fewer units of packaging.
- Inventory Management- Bulk orders of packaging units also require very efficient inventory management. This can add to the storage and management costs of packaging.
Special Features and Add-Ons: Worth the Investment?
Custom packaging is basically a blend of different creative features. These features perfectly depict the dedication, commitment, and aesthetics of the brand. However, each of these special features can add up to the total cost of custom packaging. Following are some of these special features and add-ons:
- Embossing and Debossing- These techniques are especially useful for offering an amazing tactile experience to customers.
- Holographic Foil Printing- Holographic foil printing can be used to catch the attention of customers in one glance.
- Window Displays- This is the best way to lure customers into buying your products by giving them a sneak peek through the window of your packaging.
- Custom Inserts- For giving extra protection to your products during transit, custom inserts can definitely prove to be a foolproof strategy.
All these features can make your custom packaging look extremely appealing, however, they all contribute largely to its cost.
The Green Packaging Wave: Cost Implications
Along with the pleasant visual appeal of packaging, there is a specific segment of the consumer market that prefers sustainability in custom packaging. Again, this sustainability can incur noteworthy costs and add to your total custom packaging budget. The factors that can lead to higher costs of green packaging are stated below:
- Recyclable and Biodegradable Materials- Eco-friendly packaging materials have a premium price associated with them that impacts the packaging budget.
- Production and Processes- Sustainable packaging solutions require specialized procedures and production units that add to the custom packaging cost.
- Consumer Appeal- Along with sustainability, you also need to add elements of aesthetic appeal in your packaging that definitely contribute to the total cost.
Balancing Aesthetics and Functionality
Up till now, we have discussed the different factors that can possibly raise your custom packaging costs. However, now, we will be discussing how you can make a tradeoff between the aesthetics and functionality of your custom packaging solutions. You should consider the following aspects before deciding on your custom packaging solution:
- Packaging Type- Depending on the type of product you want to pack, you can opt for different packaging types. These types determine the cost of your custom packaging. For example, rigid boxes are more costly than simple cardboard packaging.
- Materials- It is very important to select the right material for your custom packaging since this can have a great impact on the packaging cost. High-quality packaging materials can elevate the packaging quality, however, they are also very expensive.
- Logistics and Shipping- Heavy-weight or complicated packaging can lead to increased shipping costs. Therefore, you must strike a balance between aesthetics and shipping efficiency.
- Unboxing Experience- Exquisite packaging designs greatly enhance the unboxing experience but they also increase the total cost of custom packaging.
Planning the cost of custom packaging for elevating your brand requires a keen understanding of different factors that can influence the costs. In this blog, we have mentioned all the important factors that can contribute to the cost of custom packaging. However, striking the correct balance between these factors and your affordability can lead to a successful custom packaging solution. In this way, you will not only be able to leave a lasting impression on your customers with personalized packaging but will also be able to save on your costs.